Self Discipline Is Not Rocket Science!
Some of us are really comfortable with disciplining ourselves and focusing on the tasks ahead whilst others struggle with this. The truth is that actually, self-discipline is a habit that we acquire throughout our life. It really depends on our past upbringing, our education, and the training we’ve had.
We can learn how to discipline ourselves so that we don’t feel so overwhelmed with all the daily tasks. Once we have a system in place, it all flows with ease and harmony.
In the video below I’m talking about the 5 steps you need to focus on in order to help you to start creating a habit around this need. If you are anything like me, I need to have a consistent routine with all my projects so that I don’t lose track and don’t get frustrated with my daily tasks.
When we push too hard on ourselves
So, what is needed to regain your self discipline and make self discipline your best friend?
Let’s Unlock Self Discipline In 5 Steps:
- Step 1: Visualise what you really want and WHY you want to achieve what you want to achieve. Imagine you have reached your end destination, how do you feel? Who’s around you? What do you see? Use all your senses when doing this visualisation. It’s important to live it as if you were already there celebrating your wins.
- Step 2: Create a goal, a challenge, and a deadline, and STICK to it. In order to achieve our end destination, we need to know exactly how we’re getting there. Do you plan your trip to go somewhere without packing or checking that you’ve checked in and secured your boarding passes? No right. Neither do I! So the same concept is required when you are planning your goals.
- Step 3: Make change your daily friend and reprogram a new story. I’ve written another blog post that will help you to change the old story and create new habits.
- Step 4: Eliminate distractions and let go of what is keeping you stuck. Outsource what you don’t need to focus on right NOW. This has been a massive breakthrough for me and my business, I become aware that I had to let go of controlling all the pieces in my business and give some tasks to my team so that I could focus on my zone of genius and be more productive.
- Step 5: Step back and pause… The more you think about what you want to do, the least you will do it.
Be gentle with yourself and celebrate all your wins, even the little ones. Figure out if you are motivated by risk or reward and put it in place. Don’t overthink or overanalyze and definitely don’t let perfectionism stop you in your tracks.
Reflect on what you have achieved so far. Even the small little wins should be celebrated and you should bask in its glory. You should see me do a happy dance whenever I achieve something big or small. It is quite hilarious!
INSPIRED ACTION TIME:
- One thing that I’ve changed in my business was to join accountability groups. Accountability groups are great for expressing freely and without judgment all your challenges and helping you move forward. You will also be able to brainstorm ideas and therefore you won’t feel so lost or confused about what you have to do. I got a task for you today… Look around and find accountability groups that will help you stay focused and on track.
- The other strategy I’ve implemented was to be part of a virtual co-working space. I have an article on this, 5 AWESOME THINGS YOU CAN LEARN FROM CO-WORKING.
[Watch on YouTube – Subscribe for more videos}
Quotes mentioned in the video:
You don’t lack discipline, you are taking on too much ~ Brendon Bruchard
Do one thing every day that scares you ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Your Turn To Unlock Self Discipline
Let me know in the comments how do you feel about self-discipline and if this is something that you are struggling with? Do you often give up on what you are trying to achieve or don’t stick to anything?
Do you have incomplete programs, courses, or certifications that have been put in a pile of notes and forgotten? If that is the case then possibly you will benefit from what I have said in the video above.
I want you to know that this CHANGE in your routine can be acquired and reprogrammed so that you don’t fall prey to this type of behaviour. Also, know that with every “change” we have in life comes great uncertainty, and therefore, do be gentle with yourself and persist in whatever endeavours you want for yourself.
I’m here to help you transition from fearful to fearless and would love to have a meaningful conversation with you.