Whatever you do (when you do it), build it online from day 1.
So, the question is “Which one should you choose?” and why?
You are probably sitting there wondering what is the best course of action when it comes to building a membership community online!
Are you questioning if it should be a program or a course? Let me go through some of the differences between them both so that we can see the possibilities. Then, I will tell you which one I would choose… you will be very surprised and possibly wanting to do the same.
Whenever we create something, we tend to do one thing and quickly move on to the next creation. Creators are like this. Their brains get bored with just sticking with one thing at the time. I know, I’m one of them. Don’t judge me LOL!
Let’s look at the differences:
In effect, a course is a unit of study within a program. Inside each course, there are learning components such as video presentations, tutorials, workshops, implementation labs, workbooks etc.
- Courses provide opportunities to develop current knowledge and learn new skills through facilitated learning and activities.
- Normally a DIY version where others navigate it on their own.
- Whilst a PROGRAM can be delivered over several months or even a yearly option. This allows for a greater in-depth deep dive into relevant areas of business, marketing, leadership and management. It can include a range of development modalities which may include workshops, eLearning, webinars, implementation sessions, self-assessment tools and more focused laser meetings to go through current challenges and finding solutions.
- This has a more personal feel and usually, the coach or educator guides people through the stages of the program.
- It can include one on one sessions to further dig deep into their challenges;
- Definitely, this option feels more exclusive as the interaction and engagement is evident.
As an example, the Radical Launch System program is composed of 5 staged course levels:
I call these modules not courses but the truth is that it doesn’t really matter because, at the end of the day, I could turn each of those phases into Mini-Courses and still delivered to my audience as a Bootcamp or Workshop event. The 5 Steps to 5K Intensive falls under this category. The possibilities are endless as I teach my Radical Tribe.
So, The RLS Program has 5 little “Course” stages as described below which means we 1st start by strengthening their mindset then we move onto the next logical step of their journey. And so on and so on until the client reaches the end result which is building their group program membership sites.
- Build Your Mindset
- Build Your Pillars
- Build Your Content
- Build Your Launch
- Build Your Tribe
This is my signature yearly program which allows me to take my clients through the crafted process. Some will enter the program at different stages depending on what they want to achieve. However, someone starting out as a coach or educator will benefit immensely by doing the yearly program since we project manage and build their own signature membership website for them.
If you’re thinking of building a course then I would advise you to think BIG and start building your own signature package. There are commonalities that you already use with your one on one coaching/mentoring business that you can deliver on a bigger scale and start impacting more people in one go. You’ll be able to achieve more ease and flow when you package your expertise in a way that helps your clients move forward and reach their end result.