From 1 to 10 score, how important do you believe it is to build foundations for your business?
I’m going for a 9 but it wasn’t like that for me in the beginning. Surprisingly, there are many others who still disregard these crucial pillars for their business. I have been guilty of this and it is okay. We only know what we know when we navigate the murky waters of our Entrepreneurial journey. Besides in the beginning, we just want to keep going, look busy and get clients.
Without these points though, it will take you a bit longer to achieve what you want (before you throw in the towel and return to your corporate life).
I urge you to start by focusing on taking small steps into getting clarity in the following topics.
- Who are you selling to? I don’t mean a huge group of people as I did in the beginning because I was so scared that I wouldn’t be able to target anybody.
- Why do you do what you do? And most relevant, dig deep into why would your potential clients need your services. More about this in another article called We Live In Our Heads.
- What are the inner and outer challenges of your ideal audience? What are they feeling, thinking and doing? How does their external world look at them? I’m going to talk further about this.
- What do you provide your clients? Have you done your Client Journey Roadmap? These are steps that allow them to go from where they are now to where they want to be?
- What is your positioning statement? How do you want others to see you? How are you behaving to uphold your brand values and mission?
- What is your passionate message? Yes, the one that speaks directly to your potential audience and solves their nagging problems!
However, all of these things I mentioned previously, they all require you to gain clarity around the Internal and External problems that your audience is facing at the beginning of their journey.
I don’t know about you but it has taken me quite some time to tune into my audience soul’s wishes and understand exactly how they are feeling, what they are saying on a regular basis, doing or maybe not doing. What keeps them up at night and what lights them up! If I were you, I would do this first because once you start to know and understand their nagging challenges, everything else will fit into place. Your messaging will be on point, you’ll be able to offer the services that they want and you will be seen as an authority and an expert in your market.
Make sense? Good, let’s move and focus on the 2 main challenges they are facing.
Firstly, we have the Internal Challenges.
These are the nagging thoughts and emotions that are swirling inside their minds. The ones that keep them up at night and that makes them sick to their stomach. Do you know that pain? I know it well! I was physically in pain with all the stress of having to drag myself to my JOB. One day I had to call an ambulance because I thought I was having a heart attack. The paramedics examined me and they gave me the all-clear but the pain was still there.
Maybe you can relate to this list of Inner problems:
- “Who is going to listen to me?”, “I’m no expert in the matter” or “I don’t know enough to make an impact”. ~ Self-doubt
- “I don’t have enough followers to build a group community”. ~ Lack of confidence
- “What if my members don’t engage and my group is too quiet?” ~ Low self-esteem
- “OMG what the heck am I going to charge for my programs” ~ Unworthiness
- “I’m too creative and I bounce from one idea to the next” ~ Lack of focus
- “This online malarkey is just too hard” or “I’m so frustrated with all the technology I need to build my business” ~ Technophobia
- “Where am I going to find my next paying client?”, “I can’t sell to save my life” or “What if nobody buys from me” ~ Money Blocks
- “I’m a one-woman show, I don’t have the money to hire anybody yet” or even “I don’t know where to find the right people to work with” ~ Scarcity Mindset
- “What if I fail and have no choice but return to my 9 to 5”, “What will my ex-workmates say”, “I’m a lost cause…I’m a failure” ~ Fear of Failure
- “What if I’m judged and criticised for what I do or say?” ~ Social Anxiety
Finally, then we have the External Challenges that my audience is facing on a regular basis.
These are outside their control and influenced by external sources. This occurs when your mind is stuck in the “HOW” and you are desperately seeking a solution. You perceive that building the foundations of a business is a one fits all strategy and you believe that you should do the same as your competitors or people doing the same as you. Nowadays, the way you run your business is flexible and the more you infuse your passionate personality into it, the more chance people will be attracted to what you sell in your business.
- CASHFLOW – How do I get a consistent monthly income and more clients?
- OUTSOURCING – How do I build my team or outsource some tasks?
- DEPENDENCY – “My 1:1 is starting to be exhausting and I’m lacking the free time to do other things in life”, “How do I transition from 1:1 to a group model?”
- SCALABILITY – “How do I grow and scale my business?”
- LEARNING CURVE – “What marketing strategies shall I use for my business?”, “Someone says one thing and another says something different” or
- TECHNOFOBIA – “How do I build my site?”, “What tools shall I use” or “How to build an automated business and earn money while I sleep”
It’s a Wrap
Why is it important to know the internal and external problems of my audience? Well, the more you know about the pain that they are going through the easier it will be to craft your packages and services. So, for example in my case, I know that my ideal prospect has limited technology skills and very little interest in doing it all herself.
This is what she says to me… “I just want to coach, Sofia!”
I also know that they want to impact more people in one go hence the group program model. She wants to transition from trading time for money to grow her community through the power of groups. Having that in mind, I’ve created the Radical Launch System where TOGETHER we will turn your group program vision into a reality and help you achieve phenomenal results and highly target audience to your membership group programs. It’s a combination of Done with You and Done for You package which makes it completely free of tech limitations.