7 Steps on How to Start Blogging on Your WordPress Site
Blogging is a marketing strategy that has been around for many years. It is a fast way to deliver the necessary information to your audience. However, building a blog site can be a daunting task for some. That is why I am giving you a simple roadmap and in fact, you could have your blog site active in a few hours. WordPress makes it super easy to start blogging and start building authority and credibility in your niche and amongst your audience.
Step by step on how to start Blogging on your WordPress Site:
Step 1: Choose a Hosting Plan
SiteGround has three great plans for you if you want to start your WordPress Blog site quickly. This hosting company has friendly customer service so if something goes wrong when you are blogging, they can quickly help you with your technical struggles.
The StartUp plan is perfect for people with one website that is starting now.
The GrowBig plan is a great value for money offer, including the option for multiple websites and the SuperCacher that greatly improves website speed.
The GoGeek plan is perfect for people with e-commerce and larger sites, or more geeky development needs like more server resources and GIT integration.
Step 2: Choose a Domain Name
You can choose to buy a new domain, or sign up with an existing domain through SiteGround Hosting. They offer a wide range of domain extensions at awesome prices. When you are starting your blogging, choose a domain name that reflects your niche and choose keywords your audience is looking for. Whenever possible don’t have a number or fancy characters in your domain name. You want something that is easy to remember and is the main mission of your blogging strategy.
Step 3: Review and Complete your Order
Unlike many other hosting providers, SiteGround advertised discount applies to any of the initial periods chosen during the signup process. Being able to get a low price for the one-year period is a fact that increases conversions greatly in comparison to other providers where the lowest monthly price applies only for the longest period.
Step 4: Install WordPress
- Most hosting companies have a free WordPress.org install and Siteground is one of them making it so simple and easy to set up your blog as quickly as possible.
- You can install WordPress on your account via the automatic script installation system – Softaculous. Here is how to install WordPress using Softaculous:
cPanel -> WordPress Installer -> Install
cPanel -> Softaculous -> Blogs -> WordPress –> Install
Step 5: Install a Free or Premium Theme to run your Blogging Strategy
- WordPress.Org has an extraordinary amount of free and premium themes that you can use straight away. However, I’ve been using Elegant Themes and I really like the visual builder that comes with it. It has very functional and beautiful layouts that you can customise without needing to touch CSS code or HTML.
- If you want to choose some of the free themes that WordPress offers, this article from SiteGround will help you to follow the simple step by step on How To Install Your WordPress Theme.
Step 6: Customize with Sidebar Widgets and Plugins
- You can add your Call to Action images and banners to your blog posts’ sidebar widgets so that you can start monetizing your blog posts.
- Editorial Calendar Pugin:
- The Editorial Calendar makes it possible to see all your posts and drag and drop them to manage your blog.
- Features of this plugin include:
- See all of your posts and when they’ll be posted.
- Drag and drop to change your post dates.
- Manage your drafts with our new drafts drawer.
- Quick edit post titles, contents, and times.
- Publish posts or manage drafts.
- Easily see the status of your posts.
- Manage posts from multiple authors.
- Akismet Plugin:
- Akismet stops the spam messages in your blog comments. Any messages recognized as blog spam get recorded in the Akismet web service and blogs all over the world become immune to it.
- Yoast Plugin (Search Engine Optimization):
- Yoast SEO is the number one SEO plugin for your WordPress website. It handles everything you need for quality on-page optimization. Furthermore, you get an instant SEO score for each post or page you create. It supports other major WordPress plugins such as WooCommerce for example.
- This is a comprehensive plugin that contains a wide range of features: notifications in your toolbar, connecting the site to social networks and automatically sharing, view concise stats, allowing subscriptions to your posts to receive notifications, sharing content with Facebook, Twitter, and more.
- Bloom Plugin:
- Bloom Plugin for inline post call to action. This plugin comes with the Elegant Themes Divi option and this makes it possible to build all types of options landing pages such as Pop-ups, Fly-in, below the post, Inline, locked content, and in your widgets sections.
Step 7: Create Content and Publish Your First Blog Post
Your audience wants to see what you have to offer them. They want to learn and be guided by your expertise and knowledge. With that in mind, your blog posts need to have a purpose, and be informative and entertaining. The key is not to overthink your content and keep it as simple as possible. The last thing you want to do is overwhelm your audience with unnecessary information overload.
You want to choose your blogging consistency. I’ve decided to start blogging weekly and every Friday I publish a new blog post which is sent on Monday as an RSS feed to all my email list subscribers.
DOWNLOAD YOUR BLOGGING CHECKLIST
It’s a Wrap
Finally, after all your hard work with building your blog and a routine of creating content on purpose around your niche, don’t forget to optimize your blog posts for Search Engines (SEO). After all, you want your blog posts and all the amazing content that you’ve just created to be searchable by your audience and drive traffic to your website. The more people viewing your articles and comment, the higher will be your visibility online.
We can help you build your blog site from scratch and design your website that reflects your mission and vision and your brand personality.
Describe to us below how you would like your website to look like, who are you serving and what is the most important part of your online footprint?